Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Hungry ... for the Truth

This hideous transition into "maintenance" has led me to a lot of reading. Reading, reading, reading. Hours after the house has gone quiet and dark, many nights my eyes burn from reading and reading and reading some more. In this quest for balance, I have come upon a handful of blogs that contain firsthand experience with maintenance. One good, a few okay, a couple ugly. But compared to the plethora of  information about weight loss out there, the discussion of maintenance is very slim. I'm walking half blind here, so it would be great to be girded with as much information as possible - hard facts, science, data that can be replicated over time. 

I just recently stumbled upon substantial scientific evidence that supports the fact that our bodies psychologically and physically work against maintaining weight loss. Say what? Perhaps after all it isn't just me being a weak, spineless creature around cookies and peanut butter and ... ?  I shared one particular article with my husband with disdain. Disheartening and encouraging all at the same time, the article is actually a great read. The Fat Trap by Tara Parker-Pope explains some of the science which I won't bore you with here. However, if you are considering weight loss or are somewhere in the middle of the loss-maintenance-loss cycle, you must read it. 

The last three weeks since last check-in have been good overall. Two weeks ago, through a culmination of life events, poor nutrition choices, and laziness I went four days without intentional exercise, the longest consecutive period since May of last year. Day four was a slap in the face; I was so tired and weak it was difficult to keep up. With the exception of nearly half the bag of chocolate chips I had for dinner on Sunday, I've been back on track. Even with that, I was able to stop instead of eating the whole bag plus a bowl of cereal and a peanut butter sandwich and then having to go to bed. Progress is progress, people. 

Activity has been great. I typically only go five miles on the treadmill, but I've been watching movies and at about the five mile mark the movie is at its climax. It pushes me to keep going until the movie is over, and I've been getting around seven miles in that way. I also just recently tried a new workout which is huge for the diehard Tae-Bo lover and Billy Blanks fanatic that I am. This is no promotion for Beachbody, but I did like Cize enough to do it more than once. I'm not as good as I once was, though, and my neck is sore from all that whippin' around. I do like to dance!

And so. The goal always has been (and I suppose always will be) to make good choices today. Just today. One day at a time. There is always more peanut butter for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment